What we do
Sound Seekers helps improve the lives of thousands of deaf or hearing impaired people in some of the poorest communities in the world, through partnership projects in Cameroon, Malawi, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Zambia by:
- forging partnerships with schools, hospitals and communities to develop projects that help keep children in school and adults to secure employment.
- supporting health professionals by providing training in basic audiology and providing them with the kit to assist people with hearing impairment, including fitting hearing aids.
- supporting schools and teachers to increase access to education for deaf and hearing impaired children by delivering teacher training, materials and equipment and by improving the school environment.
- organising volunteer placements for UK audiologists to visit and support the African staff that run the projects
- providing HARK (Hearing Assessment and Research Centre) vehicles to some of our static clinic projects to extend audiology outreach services to isolated poor communities.
- developing innovative projects such as our hearing aid refurbishment project which creates local jobs and provides reconditioned equipment across 5 African countries.