Developing the first comprehensive audiology service in Southern Malawi
We are working closely with the Government of Malawi on a major project to build, equip and staff a comprehensive audiology service based at Blantyre’s largest hospital. The services provided will be far more advanced than the current basic audiology service and will include paediatric audiological assessment and management. Dr Courtney Caron, an audiologist from the United States is volunteering in Malawi for 4 years to support this important project.
Providing training for Malawian health professionals in the UK
We are sponsoring four Malawian audiology officers – Chikondi, Mwanaisha, Gospel and Fletcher – to do their MSc in Audiology at The University of Manchester.
Supporting audiology outreach
We continue to provide support to the team at ABC Hearing and Clinic and Training Centre who deliver outreach audiology and ear care services in isolated communities using the HARK vehicle donated by Sound Seekers.
Capital: Lilongwe (Blantyre: Commercial Capital)
Area: 118,480 square kilometres
Language: English, Chichewa
GDP per capita: U.S. $600
GDP per day: U.S. $2
- There are no native Malawian audiologists
- There are now 2 native ENT doctors
- Malawi has 6 Deaf Schools in Karonga, Bandwe, Embangweni, Mua, Maryview and Mountainview
- Sign Language is Malawi sign language which is a combination of mostly American sign and local signs with a bit of British sign language.
Training health professionals
Our partners in Malawi
- Ministry of Health
- Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital
- African Bible Hospital
- Ears Inc (Australia)